This page contains maps of the area dating from 1806 to 1945. These, more British maps and historical information are available on the Vision of Britain Through Time and National Library of Scotland websites. Click on a map thumbnail to view the entire map. Please be aware that some maps are large ranging in size from 4MB to over 70MB. Therefore it is not recommended to view maps while using a mobile connection.
1809 - Ordnance Survey
This is the first Ordnance Survey map of Welcombe but it does not include the whole village, indeed Welcombe is not written on the map. The coastal section will wait another 50 years before it is mapped (see below). Darracott is spelt Dairycot supporting the fact it is a corruption of 'Dairy Cottage'. Tredown is shown as 'Down'. The Old Smithy building does not exist yet, and there are a number of buildings at Witheford and Upcott that don't exist now. Hollacombe is yet to come into existence.
1809 - Bideford Unions
This map is based on the 1809 Ordnance Survey map and shows the parish council boundaries in the Bideford Union. At this time Welcombe appears much larger than today including Meddon to the east and north to Hardisworthy. This may explain why the 1831 census shows the parish area as 6,620 acres. It reduced to 1,751 acres in the 1851 census, close to the current size of around 1,790 acres.
1832 - HMSO Boundary Review
This review proposed Devon is divided into two parliamentary divisions. Welcombe would be part of the northern division returning four MPs, south Devon would have 14 MPs. This map shows Welcombe being part of the Hartland Hundred. A Hundred is a county division used for military and judicial purposes. The basis of a 'Hundred' is obscure with no comprehensive definition.
1842 - Tithe Map
The 1842 tithe map shows the most detailed view of Welcombe from the 19th century. The accompanying document shows the owner of each field and what it was used for.
1884 - Ordnance Survey 2 of 6
This map shows Welcombe (Town), Linton and Tredown. There are a number of buildings east of Linton Farm shown that no longer exist. There is also an additional footbridge that no longer exists linking Welcombe Barton to the bottom of Well Hill. Two lanes are also shown that can still be seen on satellite maps - Lanepark and Linton Lanes.
1903 - Bartholomew
This the first map Bartholomew's published under their own name. The road from Tredown Cross, through Darracott to Mead was not considered passable (some may say it remains so!). The map shows the preferred route through Welcombe and the Gorge - not recommended now. The route to Morwenstow was the track from Mead Corner - definitely not recommended now!
1905 - OS
Twenty years after the last OS map shows the emergence of some major properties in the village. This is the first mention of Welcombe school although evidence of a building in this location is shown on the 1900 map. Berry Park has been expanded to its current size. The Hermitage has also been constructed. This map view enables you to compare the 1905 OS map with a current satellite view.