Other Services

Emergency Services

999 - The main emergency number

The emergency number for police, ambulance, fire brigade, coastguard and cliff rescue. Please only use this number if someone is seriously ill or injured, in danger or a crime is in progress.

In the UK 112 can also be used in place of this number on either mobile or landline. 112 is the international emergency number for use on mobiles phones. It will work on a mobile phone anywhere in the world.

101 – The non-emergency number for the police

Use 101 when you want to contact the police, but it’s not an emergency – i.e. an immediate response is not necessary and/or will not be serve any purpose. A general rule is “if the crime is not currently in progress, use 101.”

111 – The non-emergency medical number

This is available nationwide and replaced and expanded on the former NHS Direct service. Use this for illnesses and minor injuries where life isn’t threatened, but you would like some advice on what to do next.

Devon child safeguarding

In the first instance it is best to contact the police on 101 above, alternatively contact Devon's Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0345 155 1071.

Devon County Council

Devon County Council is responsible for:

  • Roads

  • Children's services (adoption, care, social workers)

  • Social care

  • Libraries

  • Trading standards / consumer advice

  • School and education

Click here to find contact information for the above.


To report a pothole, click here. For information on reporting other road problems, click here.

Torridge District Council

Torridge District Council is responsible for:

  • Refuse & Recycling

  • Planning / Building Control

  • Parking

  • Council Tax

  • Noise & Pollution

  • Housing

Click here to find contact information for the above.

Other useful websites

  • FloodRE - information on flooding, likelihood and contermeasures